The Mattatuck Volunteers were formed in 1981 as a result of discussions we had at an Order of the Arrow weekend. There were a good number of adults there that weekend, and we decided to form our own organization for the following reasons:
We were concerned that if there was too much adult involvement on the O.A. weekends the boys would lose leadership opportunities.
We wanted to work on more advanced projects
We wanted to raise funds for those projects.
A similar group in the Quinnipiac Council was used as a model. They offered camp scholarships to boys. We adopted this idea at first but lost interest after the first year. Our first Chairman was Stanley Abromaitis, who served from October 1981 to January 1982. Barney Surprenant took over from there and capably led the group until his death in January, 1999.
Our first project was an ambitious one, the camp amphitheater. Originally built in 1955 with benches raised on wooden posts, over the years the benches had been reduced to simple oak slabs lying on the ground, providing uncomfortable seats for parents and Scouts. With financial and other support from the Waterbury Rotary Club the Volunteers spent numerous weekends in 1982 and 1983 digging holes, pouring cement, and building the raised benches we have today.
Numerous smaller projects followed. We also have funded purchases not included in the camp budget.